Each and every summer, since I was a little bitty kid, our family and friends have gathered together to celebrate the Fourth of July. When I lived at home, my grandparents had a huge summer BBQ with grilled chicken and the best Texas Sheet Cake I can remember. As we’ve grown older, our annual tradition still involves swimming all day and eating! With all this food and fun about, the last thing you want to add to your holiday memories is a trip to the emergency room!
- The National Fire Protection Association reported that the risk of fireworks injury was highest for children ages 5-19.
- Males are injured more than females.
- 36% of the 2011 injuries were to individuals younger than 20 years of age!
To help your friends and family remember these tips, send a fun reminder about fireworks safety with Sparky Cards!
In addition to fireworks, hot grills and sun burns also can have a negative effect on your joyful plans.
- Avoid running or playing around hot grills and camp fires.
- All members of your family should apply sunscreen with an SPF 15 or higher to prevent exposure to the sun’s rays.
- Be sure to remember to reapply sunscreen when swimming or sweating.
From our family to yours, we hope you have a relaxing holiday, and a great celebration honoring all that our country has achieved!
Happy 4th of July!
Frances Brooks, Director of Marketing and Operations, wife and mom of 2