I enjoy spending time with my family around the dinner table even though cooking has never been a hobby of mine. We try to have as many meals as possible sitting together around the table each week. It is one of my favorite parts of the day! It is a wonderful opportunity to share the happenings from the day with each other. There are so many other benefits for mind, body and soul to eating with your family to keep in mind!
- When families eat together meals tend to be healthier.
- Children in families that eat dinner together are less likely to be overweight.
- Children tend to eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Children in families who eat together get better grades.
- When families eat together frequently, children have better language skills.
- Children of families who eat together report being happier.
- Working mothers report feeling less stress if they have family meal times compared to those that do not.
- Teenagers are less likely to use drugs, smoke and drink alcoholic drinks.
- Teenagers are less likely to become depressed, suicidal or pregnant.
- Eating together helps families build stronger communication and relationships.
What benefits do you see in your family from spending meal time together?
Bethany Clapper, Director of Development & Marketing and Mother of Two