Tip of the Week: Enjoy Holiday Food Without Sacrificing Your Waistline
Tis the season of cookies, egg nog and expanding waistlines! Every year I pledge to avoid the dessert table at holiday parties and every year I fail. Maybe I will have some success after reading with this week’s Tip brought to us from guest writer Jennifer Harrison, a Registered Dietitian at Lutheran Health Network:
Holidays are a time of celebration, family, and ultimately, food. Many gatherings are based around food, and it can be a struggle for most to make healthy decisions.
Here are some tips to help you enjoy the holidays while not sacrificing your waistline!
- Don’t deprive yourself and remember that portion control is key. Have what you enjoy in moderate amounts. Scan the food table and decide ahead of time what you want. This helps to avoid over-loading your plate as you move down the line. Don’t forget to add nutritious and filling fruits and vegetables!
- When it comes to dessert, pick one that is sure to be a palate-pleaser. Is this the one time of year you have pecan pie? Enjoy a small slice, and forgo the others!
- Whether you are hosting or a guest, make an effort to bring a healthy option to share. When you are eating and visiting, keep your back to the food. When it is out of sight, out of mind can be a great ally!
- Make sure to keep your water glass filled. Not only will it help you stay hydrated, it will also help keep you full.
- After the meal, bundle up and go outside for a walk. Not only will it burn some calories, but it can be a great time to visit with family and friends while getting some fresh air.
Whatever your goals are this holiday season, be sure to make a game plan and stick with it so that you can have a healthy and enjoyable holiday season!
Jennifer Harrison, MS, RD, CD – Lutheran Health Network